Key Points:Pathways to STEM Education
- STEM literacy and expertise are necessary for global competitiveness, sound decision making, and informed stewardship of the planet.
- STEM literacy is important for ALL students, not only those who are science oriented or who seek careers in STEM fields.
- STEM literacy in the United States falls short of that in many other nations and contributes to a shortage of STEM professionals entering the workforce.
- Earth system science offers an accessible, relevant, and compelling pathway to STEM literacy.
- ESS careers span a wide range of STEM skills, aptitudes, and interests.
- ESS survey courses broaden the pathway to STEM literacy and may help to increase minority representation in STEM fields.
- ESS courses help pre-service teachers understand STEM topics as well as increase ESS expertise.